When I was in my early twenties and had the metabolism of a super hero, I didn’t think much of eating fattening food. My husband (then boyfriend) and I would go to this great little Italian place that had the most amazing mozzarella cheese sticks, and we would sometimes order two appetizer rounds. Those were the days, when my metabolism could zap fat in a single bound:) They were really amazing though. They had this substantial and crunchy crust…yum! Recently, I was out to eat with family and they ordered cheese sticks as an appetizer. I was disappointed with the non-existent crust and overall sogginess of them. My thinking is that if you are going to eat something like cheese sticks…do it right. This motivated me to do something I rarely do…fry. This past September, I shared a pan-fried panko crusted apple fritter. I decided to make the mozzarella cheese sticks in that same fashion. These cheese sticks are double dipped in egg and flour, coated in panko bread crumbs, and pan fried. My husband and I couldn’t believe how much they tasted like that little Italian restaurant’s, and really even better. The only difference is that this time, I was off to the treadmill for some damage control 😉
These cheese sticks are truly amazing and I paired them with my garden fresh pizza sauce, which is a perfect combination. Plus, it is a nice way to balance the bad with the good 🙂 Enjoy!
- 16 oz. mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 2 cups all purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 3 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. milk (2% or higher milkfat)
- neutral oil for frying
1. You can also bake these cheese sticks. Oil a pan and place the cheese sticks on, and place in a 450 degree oven, Flip once they begin to brown on the bottom. Either brush on oil to brown or spray with oil, during the cooking process to ensure browning.
2. Serve with veggies or a salad and have as a fun meal.
Check out my pan fried feta cheese with a roasted red pepper salad!